52 Films by Women- Week 46

So this week I'm going a bit different as I realised something. The oldest film I have watched for this challenge was from 1982 (Fast Times at Ridgemont High all the way back in week 9) which is a shame as female director have been making film way before that. In fact they go back way to the beginning of cinema and much like today actresses directed too take for example Mabel Normand, a popular silent film star and a director in her own right. So I wanted to go back in time today and do something a lot older than my typical set so I'm going 51 years before Fast Times at Ridgemont High to bring you...



Mädchen in Uniform
Dir: Leonitine Sagan & Carl Froelich
1931
This movie was groundbreaking for having an female cast and was made on a tiny tiny budget and being a really obvious Lesbian movie. All about the Manuela a young motherless girl who is put in a strict authoritarian boarding school and falls in love with Fräulein von Bernburg and then well things happen. It's very melodramatic and very watchable. 
I also want to take a moment to say how damn lucky we are that films like this weren't lost during the war and can be watched for free on youtube (yes theres subtitles and the ones I found were very good). If you are even  slightly interested in film history or anything of the sort you should watch this film. As this is only a small overview I obviously can't explain well enough it's significance or its history or what happened to the film in-depth enough so for research purposes the wikipedia page for this film is very thorough and has a lot of information so I suggest checking it.


Comments

Popular Posts